Saturday, May 13, 2006

I was asked tonight....

I was asked tonight, if I feel bad when I beat someone up in the cage? I was in a situation where I only had a couple seconds to answer, this was not someone that I was going to have time to explain competition too. My answer was an obvious, no I don't feel bad.
For those of you who don't know, this is a very noble sport/profession. Although I don't and never will feel bad for beating someone up (in the cage), I have never fought anyone that I have not respected. It takes a lot of courage to step in a cage with another human being that has been training for any given number of weeks or months to beat you. This is not a competition that you can take lightly or catch someone off guard. Everyone is ready.
....Close your eyes....picture yourself in a locker room, putting on gloves that only cover your knuckles enough to protect them, not what your going to be punching. You have the knowledge of all your strengths and weaknesses, but you know that this is a fight and can end up in any given number of situations. If you keep it standing...you could punch until you have nothing left and still have an opponent coming after you. You could score a takedown and pound him till the ref stops it, or he could tap you out with an arm bar. He could score a takedown and pound you till the ref stops it or until you are no longer concious. And either one of you could throw the best kick or punch of your life and end the fight in a matter of seconds. You have to believe that you can impose your game plan on your opponent, without any doubt. My point is...this is the most exciting sport on the planet. When you step in a cage to fight, there are no doubts, no second guessing, no problems, no thoughts at all. You get to be yourself and everything that you've been trained to do. You are in a situation where all eyes are on you. You can disapoint everyone you care about or you could bring an arena full of people to thier feet to cheer your name. And, after it is all over with... you can show class, or be a punk, bring the sport up, or tear it down, make fans, or doubters, hero or villian.
I pray that I always take the high rode. I have a wife, a family, friends, fans, and soon a son, and I do care what people think about me. I only want to fight for the competition, to make myself better, to impress people with my skill and words, and to test myself in the greatest arena since the gladiators....the cage.
I have said it before, I envite everyone to become a fan of fighting. There is nothing inhumane about it. It is competition at its best. Go to a local show, watch The Ultimate Fighter (on Spike tv), order a UFC on pay per view, and appreciate the skill and athletisism that these fighters have. Find someone you love, find someone you hate, either way...I promise you will love it.
Take it a step further and picture yourself in their shoes....to be in a cage facing every fear, joy, and human emotion between those two. It is the most unbelievable feeling in the world. I have known that I was made for this sport since day one and I can't imagine living without it and I can't imagine anyone watching it and not enjoying it.
The Next Level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home